We believe that you are here because perhaps you have been the victim of a personal injury accident in recent times. Please be aware that we understand how difficult and traumatic these events can prove to be. Especially in these unprecedented and ambiguous times, sustaining a personal injury accident can leave you dazed and confused thinking that there aren’t any solutions to your financial and physical repercussions. Furthermore, according to the National Center for Health Statistics, about 30 million injuries affect United States citizens each year, forcing them to seek the care of a medical expert.
Similarly, about two million people suffer injuries that require some form of hospitalization, and ultimately 162,000 people die from their specific injuries. The reason why we present these numbers to you is that despite that it may prove difficult to accept the facts, the truth is that a personal injury accident can occur at any given time.
When dealing with the aftermath of such an event, despite the obvious consequences of mental and physical trauma, you will also have to deal with the financial repercussions of this incident. Those being the medical bills you shall inevitably receive throughout your recovery process, as well as battling through the legal aspects of your accident.
We mentioned beforehand that these events can really make you feel as if your hands were tied. However, the truth is that despite what you may believe, there is a solution to your current problems. By hiring a Dania Beach accident lawyer, you will be able to utilize the assistance of a legal expert who will fight to protect your rights, and allow you to attain the compensation that you deserve.
Continue reading so that you may learn more about the legal basis of personal injury accidents, and why it is crucial to hire a lawyer when suffering such an accident.
What Is a Personal Injury Accident Exactly?
A personal injury accident is commonly defined as an instance where you suffer damages or injuries caused by another party or individual. Be mindful that in personal injury cases, you suffered those damages because the person or people at fault, failed to act in a manner that upheld responsibility, ethical nature, and rationality. In other words, you were a victim of another party’s negligence.
The next step is to seek a rightful set of compensation for your damages. However, before doing that, the general value must be given to your claim based on the seriousness and implications of your injuries. Furthermore, the following consequences of your accident will qualify as compensation:
- Costs of medical bills or treatment.
- Reduced income or loss of total income due to the inability to attend your job.
- Damage to personal property added to your physical injuries.
- Pain, suffering, and emotional injuries.
Common Types of Personal Injuries
Let’s go ahead and review some of the most frequently reported personal injury accidents on average.
Within the United States, motor vehicle accidents (MVA) tend to be the most recorded cases of severe to fatal injuries. Some of those fatalities tend to be pursued as wrongful death claims when it is proven that the at-fault individual acted with negligence. In fact, MVA’s have been confirmed to entail 52 percent of all personal injury cases in 2019.
Note that these types of accidents do not only refer to car accidents, but also include cases of hit and runs, pedestrian injuries, and damage to private property. The remaining 48 percent of other cases were made up by medical malpractice with 15 percent, defective product liability with 5 percent, and slip & falls with 28 percent.
Compensation Settlement Amounts
According to (HG.Law.org), settlement claims vary a lot depending on the type of injury accident and the sustained damages. However, the median total tends to stand at $31,000 and even half of the cases do not surpass more than $24,000. In comparison to the rest, it is reported that defective product liability claims may sometimes total amounts up to $748,000 depending on the severity of the victim’s injuries. The lowest settlement is given to MVA’s, holding a lower average of $16,000.
Other settlement maximums include:
- Medical malpractice – $679,000.
- Intentional personal injury/tort – $100,000.
- Premises liability – $90,000.
Keep in mind that settlement averages tend to be compiled after victims choose to file claims by themselves, and decide to go through their compensation journey on their own. However, if you seek legal help, the chances of having a higher settlement can substantially rise.
Florida Statute of Limitations
A general statute of limitations is put into place to make sure that all lawsuits are claimed or pursued within a reasonable period. By doing so, those who suffer a personal injury accident and wish to seek compensation can do so within the mandated time frame. Oftentimes, individuals who suffer damages, wait far too long to begin their legal battle.
There are specific steps to follow like filing the claim and gathering all of the necessary paperwork. Have in mind that this may happen not because of ineptitude, but because people are either fully unaware of their state laws, or because they are busy recovering from their injuries and paying off their medical bills.
To avoid these unnecessary obstacles, a competent attorney can help you file the claim by gathering the needed paperwork, filling out the legal terminology, and advising you on how to move forward. Equally as important, he or she will make sure you understand that in the State of Florida you will have a range from two to four years to file your claim. Furthermore, your time starts running as soon as you suffer the accident and that is why it is crucial to act as soon as possible.
Hire A Lawyer
Now that you are more informed on the various legal standards surrounding a personal injury case, let’s delve into the reasons why within these circumstances it is crucial to hire an attorney.
- Your attorney will discuss with you the details of your accident and how that affects your protected rights:
- If the insurance company fails to work with you and undermines your claim, your lawyer will be prepared to take your case to court.
- If involved in a car accident, for example, your attorney will compile the key facts that led up to the accident. These could range from driving speed, negligence, witnesses, evidence, and damages.
- This means that he or she will be your voice of representation. It is essential that you have someone who will not only talk on your behalf to the at-fault party, but to their insurance companies as well. This will save time and stress while you take care of other pertinent business
- He or she will also request insurance paperwork and liability documents to ensure that the companies are not trying to pull a fast on you. Keep in mind that the companies’ prime objective is to save or make money even at your expense. For that reason, it’s best to be prepared.
- All types of personal injury accidents create an immense amount of pain and suffering. Oftentimes, the trauma can cause you to fail to make well-rounded decisions throughout your legal battles. Your attorney will thus help you by acting as a voice of reason since they hold vast experience in dealing with cases like your own. They will properly advise you on how to move forward, even when things seem bleak or hopeless.
- Your attorney will thoroughly analyze your damages with the purpose of giving them a monetary value. The stronger your argument is, combined with factual evidence, and submitting your claim in a timely manner, will undoubtedly raise your settlement amount.
We are truly confident that by reading this article you may now better understand the legal complexities regarding all types of personal injury accidents alongside their due process. However, the most important aspect to gather from this account, is that in order to receive the compensation that you need, it is imperative to utilize the assistance of a legal expert. That is why we are delighted to present to you the services of the Offices of Scott J. Senft The Lawyer.
Scott and his team are a set of expert professionals in the field, who are ready to take your case and vehemently fight for the protection of your rights. They will listen to your specific needs and pursue the best possible outcome for your interests. Scott is undoubtedly the best Dania Beach Accident Lawyer not only because of his exemplary record but because he also understands the needs of his community. What are you waiting for? Call his offices now, so that you can get the compensation you deserve!