Were you aware that parking lot accidents do not always signify car crashes within the lot? Even though these types of car accidents are quite common, there is a different set of pedestrian accidents that happen as well. When we think of pedestrian personal injuries, the first thought would be to picture an unfortunate bystander receiving injuries at a crosswalk, sidewalk, or public establishment. Nonetheless, pedestrian injuries are just as common in public or private parking lots.
If this has happened to you, we can begin to say that we can only imagine the discomfort, frustration, pain, and mental anguish that you may be currently dealing with. The truth is that these accidents tend to not have much coverage because of a very misconstrued idea of seriousness. Since these are parking lot related accidents, the ones who cause someone else’s damages will try to fix the problem with unfair promises and keeping the details under the rug.
This means that they’ll often suggest that it will not be necessary to contact the police, insurance companies, or even an accident attorney. We would like to warn you against making these foolish decisions. Reason being that it is imperative to make sure that your rights are protected at all times, especially in the aftermath of a parking lot accident injury. The truth is those who infringe the law and make mistakes, oftentimes simply will not want to face justice.
Nonetheless, by hiring a parking lot injury attorney, you gain the necessary expertise of a trained professional who will make sure that you receive the compensation you are entitled to. A competent injury lawyer will guide you through the steps of filing a personal injury claim and make sure that your damages are accounted for.
So, we would like to invite you to join us throughout this article as we shall delve into three core issues. These include common instances of parking lot injuries, what to do after suffering one, and how an accident attorney can help you deal with the legal issues of said accident.
Parking Lot Accidents In South Florida
According to national statistics, in the United States, 175 million people use parking lot facilities in just one single day. In a more detailed perspective, experts state that since pedestrians walk through the parking lot twice as they arrive and leave, there is a total of 350 million excursions in parking lots per day in our country. That sure is a lot of people and a large amount of walking in just one day. Unfortunately, this means that combining this number of pedestrians with the number of cars, and other factors, often result in a high occurrence of personal injury accidents.
As they commonly say, the proof is in the pudding. According to the renowned economist, Gregory M. Fayard, on yearly average pedestrian fatalities makeup 13 percent of all parking lot accidents. Children do fall into this category because of drivers’ failure to notice them when leaving the parking space.
Furthermore, beyond the fatalities children between the ages of 5 to 9 are more likely to suffer a parking lot accident injury even if accompanied by an adult. That is why, it’s very important to always keep an eye out for your surroundings, especially if you are the legal guardian of a child.
Parking lot injuries do not only occur in the daytime or are related to minor crashes, accidents, or property damage. The truth is that throughout the evening hours, parking lots become areas in which violent crime, robbery, and assaults do often happen.
This is due to the likelihood of poorly lit areas or secluded space that increases the availability to commit theft or abuse. Oftentimes, in these scenarios, people are taken by surprise and cannot defend themselves in any way, shape, or form. If this has happened to you, we want to remind you that you deserve to be compensated for your injuries.
Causes Of Parking Lot Accident Injuries in Florida
- Distracted drivers are perhaps the main cause of reported accidents not only children or adults as we mentioned above, but any type of obstacle in their vicinity. Parking lots are enclosed areas where individuals truly have to be more aware of their surroundings. Whether people are in a hurry, fail to use their mirrors, or simply act in a belligerent manner, the consequences for those affected can be devastating.
If you aren’t upset enough, a recent governmental study has reported that 66 percent of drivers within parking lots have admitted that they often text, make calls, watch videos, or consume food while driving out of a parking lot. That is why you as pedestrians, need to be more cautious when walking through a parking lot.
- Misleading or mediocre signage within the lot: This is a huge factor when considering sudden collisions between cars and other fellow pedestrians. The reason for this due to ineffectively placed signs that misinform the driver where to yield or stop. In poorly lit areas in evening hours, this can be very dangerous. At the scene, an individual walking to their destination may suddenly be encountered by an oncoming vehicle. Unfortunately, these instances do not tend to end well for the pedestrian.
- Pavement dangers can easily trigger a slip and fall within a parking lot. Things like broken sidewalks, cracked roads, rubble, or broken wheel stops can truly result in severe injuries to unsuspecting pedestrians. By law, we wish to remind you that it is not your responsibility to be carefully inspecting any possible hazardous conditions within public parking lots. If you have been a victim of pavement hazards, your accident would also qualify for compensation.
How To Avoid Parking Lot Accidents
Let’s go ahead and review some insightful suggestions that will definitely help reduce the chances of involving yourself in a parking lot personal injury accident whether you are a driver or pedestrian.
- The truth is that 25 percent of all parking lot accidents tend to be triggered by all motor vehicles backing up. For that reason, the solution is simple: pay more attention when you are pulling out of the lot. Drive slow and use your mirrors
- Follow all of the mandated signs that are posted like stop signs or speed limit signs that are in place for everybody’s safety.
- Remember to always turn on your headlights, even in the daytime if there is poor weather. This will ultimately reduce the risk of crashing into property, cars, or pedestrians
- It is advisable to park further away from the entrance since traffic will be less congested in that area.
- Always put on your seatbelt and remember to park in areas that are well lit.
- Parking lot rules also apply to pedestrians. Refrain from walking in the middle of the lane, do not text while walking, and make use of marked crosswalks.
I Just Suffered A Parking Lot Accident Injury: What Should I Do?
If you have been the victim of a personal injury accident and the incident happened within a parking lot, here are some important measures that need to be executed:
- The first step to take would be to, of course, call for medical attention. Remember, the most important thing to take care of is your health.
- If you manage to gather the strength, it will be crucial that you gather and write down all of the necessary contact information from the party at fault. This would include the date of birth, name, license plate/number, and insurance information. Having these details will facilitate your legal battle in the future when you decide to file an official claim.
- Call the police, so that you can file a detailed accident report that will account for both your physical and property damages.
Common Types of Injuries That Will Amount For Compensation
Common types of injuries include:
- Head trauma,
- Spinal cord injuries,
- Forced trauma due to crash,
- Nerve damage,
- Bone fractures.
How A Personal Injury Accident Attorney Can Help You
First and foremost, an accident lawyer will be able to provide you with the needed expertise in a case like this. Your attorney will have the ability to prove the fault of the individual(s) that caused your accident. By initiating an extensive investigation of the facts, your personal injury lawyer will gather the evidence needed to achieve a fair settlement.
They have the capability to analyze your damages and give each injury its corresponding monetary value so that you may be able to cover medical bills, loss of income, and any pain and suffering. If necessary, your lawyer will have the ability to represent you in court when going against either the insurance company representatives, or directly with the party that caused your accident.
Lastly, your lawyer will accompany you through this complex legal venture every step of the way. They will assist you at the time of signing and filling out all of the necessary paperwork throughout your legal battle, as well as acting as a voice of reason and objectivity during the tough moments.
Get Represented Right Away!
Your safety, integrity, and rights are the most important details for us. That is why, at the Law Offices of Scott J. Senft, we will make sure that you receive the compensation you are entitled to. We are a set of trained legal experts with a golden track record at efficiently serving our communities. We can only begin to imagine the mental and physical anguish that an accident of that caliber is bestowing upon you.
That is why we are here to help you, and to make sure that you receive what you are entitled to. We are a results-driven firm that will exhaust all of the legal avenues available in a court of law so that we can win your case for you. Our notable success, determination, and efficiency make Scott J. Senft the best accident injury attorney in South Florida. Get in contact with us as soon as possible, we can’t wait to hear from you!