Due to the high frequency of accidents, auto accidents account for most personal injury cases in the state of Florida. Being involved in a car accident is an overwhelming experience that comes unexpectedly and at the most undesired moments. The aftermath of the collision can be just as confusing and frustrating. So what do you do after a car accident?
Understanding what to do after an accident can positively influence the outcome of a lawsuit and help you safeguard your legal rights. A Dania Beach accident lawyer will guide you through the actions to take after a car personal injury accident. Please continue reading for steps to take following a car accident to strengthen your claim and protect your legal rights.
What Should You Do After A Car Accident in Florida?
- Ensure That Your Fellow Passengers Are Safe: If you can, get out of the car and check on everyone involved in the accident. Make sure that everyone is okay and does not need immediate medical attention. If anyone is injured, seek medical attention right away. Examine the accident scene for any risk factors that could result in more harm, such as electric sparks or leaking gasoline.
- Report The Accident: Most jurisdictions mandate you to file a report if you are involved in an automobile accident that results in property damage exceeding a particular amount or in injuries. Call the police as soon after the accident as possible so that they can document what happened while it is still fresh in your mind. The police record can help you prove your case and receive the compensation you deserve.
- Get The Other Driver’s Information: Be sure to get the other driver’s name, address, phone number, and insurance information. It is also a good idea to take pictures of the other driver’s license plate and their vehicle.
- Talk To Witnesses: If there are any witnesses to the accident, try to get their name and contact information. The police will likely talk to them, but it is always helpful to have your own witness information.
- Write a Description of the Accident: It is helpful to write out a description of the accident as soon as possible while it is still fresh in your mind. This will help you remember what happened and be used as evidence later on. Include information such as the time, date, location of the accident, weather conditions, the direction each car was traveling, what happened leading up to the accident, and anything else you can think of.
- Contact Your Insurance Company: You will need to contact your own insurance company as soon as possible after the accident. Be sure to have all of your documentation ready, such as your police report and insurance information. Talk to a motor accident attorney in Dania Beach before signing any documents.
- Consult With a Dania Beach Accident Attorney: You should always consult with a car crash lawyer in Dania Beach after being involved in a car accident. An attorney can help you navigate the complicated legal process and ensure that you take all the necessary steps to protect your rights.
Reach Out To A Car Accident Lawyer In Dania Beach Today!
If you have been injured in a car accident, it is essential to consult with a Dania Beach personal injury lawyer as soon as possible. The law offices of Scott J. Senft are here to help you through this difficult time and fight for the compensation that you deserve. Contact us today at 561-376-8073.