Are you currently enduring the consequences of a personal injury accident in Dania Beach or the South Florida area? These incidents cause a huge amount of pain and grief to those affected individuals. Nonetheless, in this article, we will provide you helpful information to positively confront the aftermath of these accidents.
If you sustained severe injuries, you may be having a hard time trying to work and perform your favorite activities. Furthermore, personal injury accidents often negatively affect a person’s peace of mind. For example, after suffering an accident, victims often feel unsafe outside of their homes. In addition, people may develop post-traumatic stress disorder.
Unfortunately, these incidents create more than physical and emotional issues. Usually, serious injuries force individuals to stay in bed while they recuperate their health. Even more so, a grand majority of accident victims are forced to stay in a hospital while treated with lengthy procedures.
As a result, accident victims will have no other choice other than to miss workdays, thus negatively affecting their pockets. It is important to mention that if people do not have a proper insurer, they will have to pay exorbitant bills for their medical care.
At this point, you may be wondering what must be done. First of all, it is important to realize that the initial incident could have been avoided in the first place. In the vast majority of cases, personal injury accidents are caused by someone else’s lack of responsibility. This means that it is crucial to identify who was the culprit of the accident.
Individuals are expected to act in a responsible manner when engaging in any activity. This obligation is known as a duty of care. When people act carelessly and inflict harm on others, they will be held liable for their victims’ damages.
So, what’s next? You’ve now learned that the at-fault party must be held accountable. So, as a victim, you are entitled to receive monetary compensation for those damages. This award will help you cover your financial losses and alleviate your suffering.
However, seeking compensation on your own can turn out to be very tricky. You see, accident victims are not often aware of how much money they can receive from their pain and suffering. In addition, insurance companies may intend to lure people into accepting incorrect amounts of compensation if they are not effectively represented.
We understand that you may be distraught and confused at this point. Nonetheless, there is a solution for all of these issues and it starts by hiring an accident lawyer in Dania Beach. These highly skilled professionals prove fault, defend your rights, make sure you are correctly compensated.
What Are The Personal Injury Accidents in Florida?
- Car accidents: According to the Florida Highway Safety and Motor Vehicles, there were over 2 million reported motor vehicle accidents in Florida just last year. Automobile crashes can be tragic and lead to severe bodily damage. Common car accident injuries are known to be brain damage, fractures, loss of limbs, paralysis, and death.
In order to prevent a fatal car crash, the State of Florida has imposed a set of speed limits. The current limits are:
- 70 mph on interstate highways,
- 65 mph on four-lane divided roadways in rural areas,
- 60 mph on most state highways.
Florida is one of a dozen states that follows a no-fault car insurance system. This means that after an automobile accident, regardless of who caused it, your own insurance will cover the medical bills and other qualifying losses.
- Slip and falls are labeled as accidents where individuals trip and fall on someone else’s premises due to a dangerous condition. According to the National Floor Safety Institute, slip and fall accidents are the leading cause of worker’s compensation claims. Moreover, these incidents are the leading cause of occupational injury for people aged 55 years and older.
Slip and falls are categorized as premises liability claims. Establishment owners must keep their properties free of any potential hazards. Some examples of these factors include the non-usage of warning signs, floor debris, wet floors, and broken tiles.
In order to receive compensation for their damages, slip and fall victims must prove at least one of the following requirements:
- The establishment owner knew about the existence of the hazard but did not eliminate or repair it.
- The establishment owner enabled the dangerous condition.
- For such a length of time, the hazard had existed that it should have been repaired or eliminated in due course.
- Medical malpractice occurs when a hospital, doctor, or other healthcare professional, by an act of omission, inflicts harm to a patient. The injury may be the result of errors in diagnosis, treatment, or health management. In Florida, medical malpractice claims must be filed:
- Within two years of the discovery of the injury or,
- Within four years from when the accident occurred.
The statutes of the State of Florida authorize different caps on damages in these claims. For example, the state authorizes a $500,000 cap on non-economic damages. However, if victims die or result in a vegetative state, their families may receive a $1,000,000 cap for non-economic damages.
In this state, victims must serve notice of sue on the healthcare professional or hospital before filing a lawsuit in court. These documents must include an affidavit that states that the victim has a valid medical malpractice lawsuit. An affidavit is a sworn statement in writing made especially under oath or affirmation.
- Nursing home abuse occurs when long-term care facilities’ employees mistreat and injure their patients. Victims can start a legal action against their caregivers in the event of a violation of their rights.
If these violations lead to the death of a resident, the family can file a wrongful death claim. Furthermore, they must prove that the facility breached its duty of care to the patient.
Nursing home abuse victims can also sue these facilities for failing to comply with the following guidelines:
- Keeping the premises free of hazards,
- Negligent hiring,
- improper supervision on patients,
- Poor safety protocols.
How Should I File A Personal Injury Lawsuit?
We shall resume it in three quick steps:
First and foremost, you must contact a Broward county personal injury attorney. As you undergo treatment for your car accident injuries, make sure to keep receipts and pending bills. Keep a record of all medical records, police reports, and documentation concerning lost wages due to the accident.
Right after, you will have to notify your insurance company of the accident. It is important that you let them know how the personal injury accident occurred, who you believe was at fault, and the seriousness of your damages.
In turn, they will create a case number and notify you of your policy’s coverage. If specific medical treatments are not covered by your policy, it is even more crucial to be assisted by a Florida accident injury attorney.
Lastly, your Fort Lauderdale accident lawyer will handle the at-fault’s insurance company and provide them with an official complaint. In this process, if the insurance company doesn’t accept the original demand letter, your compensation attorney would need to file a complaint in the Florida court system.
The complaint will outline all the evidence within the demand letter and ask the court system for a judgement. However, rest assured that litigation is rare and a settlement should be reached before going to trial. If it does get to that point, however, most juries tend to rule in favor of personal injury victims.
What Are The Advantages of a South Florida Accident Attorney?
- Dania beach personal injury lawyers have worked on dozens of cases similar to yours. In consequence, they will make sure that your claim complies with every state law.
- One of the most stressful parts of the case is attending meetings with the other party while being injured. To avoid that unnecessary stress, these legal experts can represent you in these meetings while you focus on recovering.
- Broward County accident attorneys offer free consultations. During these sessions, you can ask them any questions you have concerning your personal injury case. Having their point of view will be a great benefit as they can advise you on what solutions will ensure that you are correctly compensated.
- Injury law firms can also point you towards private investigators to seek evidence in your favor.
Allow Us To Represent You At Once!
At the Law offices of Scott J. Senft, you will find the best accident lawyer in Dania Beach. Our injury attorneys have recovered millions for our clients. As a victim, you deserve justice and we are here to deliver it! Call us right now at 561 376 8073 to arrange your free consultation with us!