Have you been the victim of a slip and fall accident in the State of Florida? If so, we want to remind you that we empathize with you throughout this difficult time. We are indeed aware of how slip and fall injuries have the ability to deteriorate your quality of life.
Usually, slip and fall injuries will take your peace of mind by preventing you from performing your day-to-day activities. Things like taking care of your family, working, and trying to practice your hobbies could, unfortunately, become a complete nightmare. In addition, you may be forced to stay at home or in a hospital while you recuperate from those same injuries. To make matters worse, you will have to assume the responsibility of paying exorbitant medical bills as a consequence. In consequence, you will require a solution for these aggravating issues.
As a victim, you should know that these incidents are caused by an acting party (individual or group that has ownership of a specific area and where the fall took place) that lacked the necessary responsibility to ensure everybody else’s safety. responsibility at the moment of the fall.
As a victim, you have the right to be heard and compensated for all of your damages. Achieving monetary compensation will restore your peace of mind and will help you pay for your medical treatment. However, obtaining compensation is not as simple as it could seem. Slip and fall accidents lead to a series of legal disputes with the owners or managers of the establishment where the incident occurred. They will also have a say during this fight. In addition, the insurance representatives of the party(s) at fault are notorious for undermining victims’ claims. As a result, achieving success will require the assistance of a qualified slip and fall attorney.
These injury lawyers possess the needed expertise on slip and fall injury law. However, the biggest advantage of hiring a slip and fall lawyer is that they can help you receive the compensation that you are entitled to by proving that you were not to blame for your fall. Keep reading our article to learn the many advantages of hiring a slip and fall attorney, what to do at the accident scene, and the legal standard of these incidents in the State of Florida.
Legal Standards of Slip and Fall Accidents in Florida
Slip and fall accidents are personal injury incidents in which an individual trips and falls on someone else’s property. Although there is a reference to a slip, these incidents encompass any accident occurred on another person’s property. For this reason, slip and falls are categorized as “premises liability” claims.
Slip and fall accidents often occur in public spaces such as restaurants, banks, hotels, and supermarkets. Establishment owners are legally responsible for keeping their properties free of any potential hazards. Personal injury law declares that if property knew about any dangerous conditions that were present but still single handedly decided not to get rid of it. If this is proven they will be held liable for your damages.
Some examples of potential hazards can be:
- Wet floors,
- Floor debris,
- Clutter on stairways,
- Torn carpeting,
- Cracked surfaces,
- Poor lighting in the area.
These unsafe conditions can provoke injuries such as:
- Fractures in hands, fingers, wrists, legs, and hips.
- Injuries in soft tissues such as sprains, strains, and contusions. However, slip and fall victims who suffer from other conditions like bursitis and tendonitis may notice these ailments worsen. In the majority of cases, these injuries develop days after the fall. That is why it is crucial to seek medical assistance right after the accident.
Slip and Fall Law in The State of Florida
- Statute of Limitations: This is the time limit that individuals are given to file their lawsuit. In Florida, personal injury claims must be filed within four years of the accident. This mandate also applies to any claim that victims wish to file for property damage.
- Comparative Negligence Rule: This law identifies the contribution of every party to the accident. Florida follows a “pure comparative negligence rule”. This means that your award will be reduced according to your percentage of fault. For example, if you were 30% liable for the accident, a compensation of $100,000 will be $70,000.
What to Do After a Slip and Fall Accident
- It is imperative to seek medical attention regardless of the severity of your injuries. Apart from receiving treatment for your ailments, a doctor’s examination will be a valuable asset of evidence when you begin your personal injury claim.
- In order to have a record of the slip and fall accident, you must report it to the landlord or establishment owner. It is recommended to ask them to write an accident report that provides details of the incident.
- It is very important to take photographs of your injuries, the exact area where the accident occured, the hazard that caused the fall, and the establishment’s exact location.
- It is vital to request the establishment’s owner contact information. For example, full name, phone number, and email address.
- As we mentioned before, slip and fall accidents lead to legal disputes with insurance companies and other parties who may intend to undermine your claim. Consequently, you will need to have a legal expert on your side. A slip and fall lawyer will be a big advantage to tackle these legalities.
Benefits of Hiring a Slip and Fall Attorney in Florida
- Slip and fall attorneys possess the necessary expertise on personal injury law. They have represented several individuals with cases similar to yours. Furthermore, they know how to negotiate with insurers. These firms could make you low offers of coverage. However, your slip and fall attorney knows how to properly determine your award by examining your suffering and calculating your lost income.
- Filing paperwork can be very challenging if you are not educated on slip and fall law. However, you don’t have to worry about that because slip and fall lawyers are experts who can help you file these documents and understand legal verbiage within them.
- A vast majority of personal injury attorneys work with private detectives who can gather the needed evidence for your case such as eyewitness testimonies, police reports, and surveillance camera footage of the accident.
- If reaching a settlement with the other party has been difficult, rest assured that your slip and fall lawyer can force a trial to ensure that you receive fair compensation for your physical, emotional, and financial burdens.
- There is nothing more overwhelming than having to attend dispute meetings with the other involved parties while dealing with bodily pain. Nonetheless, your slip and fall attorney can represent you while you regain your health.
It’s Time to Get Compensated for Your Injuries
We thank you for taking your time in reading our article. This information has been brought to you by the law offices of Scott J. Senft. At our law firm, you will find highly skilled experts on slip and fall injury law. Scott and his team have been representing personal injury accident victims for over two decades! They will do everything that is in their power to seek compensation you deserve. So, go ahead and call Scott right away at 954.927.3326!